Cape Evans is a rocky cape on the west side of Ross Island, Antarctica, forming the north side of the entrance to Erebus Bay. Scott’s Hut is a building located on the north shore of Cape Evans on Ross Island in Antarctica.
History of Cape Evans
The cape was discovered by the British National Antarctic Expedition, 1901–04, under Robert Falcon Scott, who named it the “Skuary” after the birds. Scott’s second expedition, the British Antarctic Expedition, 1910–13, built its headquarters here, renaming the Cape for Lieutenant Edward Evans, Royal Navy, second in command of the expedition. Scott’s headquarters building still exists and is known as Scott’s Hut.
Historic sites and monuments
Scott’s Hut has been designated a Historic Site or Monument.It was erected in 1911 by the British Antarctic Expedition of 1910–1913 (also known as the Terra Nova Expedition) led by Robert Falcon Scott. Scott’s The building is located on the north shore of Cape Evans on Ross Island in Antarctica.
The hut is the largest of the historic huts in the Ross Sea region and was erected between 4 and 17 January 1911. The hut is located on the northwest side of Cape Evans, built on a gently sloping beach of volcanic scoria facing Home Beach.
A cross on Wind Vane Hill, Cape Evans, was erected by the Ross Sea Party, led by Captain Aeneas Mackintosh, of Sir Ernest Shackleton’s Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition of 1914-1917, in memory of three members of the party who died in the vicinity in 1916. The cross has been designated a Historic Site or Monument, following a proposal by New Zealand and the United Kingdom to the Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meeting.
The inside interior of the hut shows furniture such as tables, chairs, and beds. Canned food and seal meat is still present. The hut of Scott was used during the winter of 1911. From here, Scott and his team made his fatal journey to the South.