Port Lockroy is a natural harbor on the north-western shore of Wiencke Island in the Palmer Archipelago in front of the Antarctic Peninsula.

History of Port Lockroy 

Port Lockroy was discovered during 1904 and named after Edouard Lockroy, a French politician and Vice President of the Chamber of Deputies, who assisted Jean-Baptiste Charcot in obtaining government funding for his French Antarctic Expedition. Over the years Port Lockroy found use as an anchorage by whalers and in 1944 became ‘British Base A’, the first of the more than 20 eventual British bases established in Antarctica.

During World War II, the British military Operation Tabarin established the Port Lockroy base (Station A) on tiny Goudier Island in the Bay, which continued to operate as a British research station until 1962. During 1996, the Port Lockroy base was renovated and is now a museum and post office operated by the United Kingdom Antarctic Heritage Trust.

It is one of the most popular tourist destinations for cruise-ship passengers in Antarctica. Proceeds from the small souvenir shop fund the maintenance of the site and other historic sites and monuments in Antarctica. The Trust collects data for the British Antarctic Survey to observe the effect of tourism on penguins. Half the island is open to tourists, while the other half is reserved for penguins. A staff of four typically process 70,000 pieces of mail sent by 18,000 visitors that arrive during the five-month Antarctic cruise season. A souvenir passport stamp is also offered to visitors.


Images of Port Lockroy

Photos of Port Lockroy

Pictures of Port Lockroy

Port Lockroy Images

Port Lockroy Photos

Port Lockroy Pictures